Monday, November 30, 2009

Becoming aware of the Bubble...


Well hello and welcome to my blog.

Sometimes it is good for one to set aside their daily life routines, their schedules, their families and friends and take time for themselves. I believe that it is in these quiet moments that God speaks the softest but yet the most clear.

During the last few months, my whole outlook on life has been changed in a rather dramatic way. Up until two weeks ago, I was a college student who had no clue what field to pursue. All I knew was that I wanted to make a lot of money. I wanted to have nice things. I wanted to never have to want for anything. I was so consumed with how to earn more money so that I could later afford the Beamer car, the Coach purse, the mansion on the hill, etc. What I didn't realize at the time, was the wrongness with that picture... Everyday I went to school and literally went day to day telling myself that happiness would come when I graduated. Happiness would come when I finally had my degree. I was waiting to "began" my life. Never realizing that I was not promised to live til' the next day, much less graduation. Struggling to find a solution or meaning, I began praying for direction. I wanted more. My heart yearned for complete and total fulfillment.
My prayers were answered little to my dismay. I was offered the opportunity to go on a retreat, at the last minute with a girl that I hardly knew. The entire weekend God began molding me and changing my thoughts. New questions arose as others were answers. And I found myself face to face with the almighty God in not just the everyday prayer but actual conversation. At that moment, I realized that it was about more than just being a Christian. It was about more than just church attendance. It was about more than just a list of what to do and what not to do. At that moment God became more than just my Savior and Lord. He became my best friend.

Since that retreat, God has been doing some amazing things in my life. It is almost as if the puzzle pieces fall right into place with very little work. For some, reading this - I'm sure this does not make much sense. This never made sense to me before now, either. In the past, I would hear people talk like this and assume them to be crazy. :) However, now I understand completely. God has given me direction to pursue a Nursing degree. He has opened up opportunities recently for me to serve in some many different places. The blessings that are being bestowed upon me are more than I could have ever imagined. They are more than I could ever deserve.

God has not only given me direction but He has also opened my eyes to see the "real" importance in life. Which deals with "Becoming aware of the Bubble". My meaning of that is that so many of us, including myself live in our little bubbles. Where everything is safe. We are consumed with our own selfishness. We live our lives for ourselves and our families. Never taking the time to consider the needs of other's. So many in the world show no care toward those who are hurting around us. We just continue to strive daily for more, more, more. When what we need is less, less, less. So many of us, honestly believe that happiness can be obtained through our possessions, social status, and occupations. This is so far from the truth. Daily I realize how true happiness is obtained through the service of others. Happiness is obtained through simple, little things. Have you ever heard the saying, "Its the thought that counts."? I encourage whoever might be reading this to take the time to really think on these things. Allow yourself to consider what holds true value. Let me end with this thought... "What truly matters most? That one owns an expensive name-brand handbag? Or that a small child starving in the lowest places of Africa is fed?

3 comments:

  1. You are so fortunate to have figured this out so early in your life. Not many young people are aware of the need in the world. I know God is very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OR as my five year old Lottie would say, "All the angels in heaven are dancing!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh.. how sweet! I've never heard that little quote. :) I'll have to be sure to use it sometime. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete